frequency range of the reproduced sound should be sufficient to retain all
audible components in the source sound, and the sound spectrum of the
reproduced sound should be identical to that of the source.
2. The reproduced sound should be free of
distortion and noise.
3. The reproduced sound should have
loudness and dynamic range comparable to the original sound.
4. The spatial sound pattern of the
original sound should be reproduced.
5. The reverberation characteristics (in
space and time) of the original sound should be preserved in the reproduced
T.D. Rossing, Physics
Teacher, Vol. 17:563 & Vol. 19:293.
Factors that determine quality of home listening rooms
1. Size and shape of room
2. Acoustic properties of walls, floor and ceiling materials
3. Acoustic properties of room furnishings
4. Quality of audio components
5. Speaker placement